Friday, January 9, 2009

Thoughts

I've been writing a lot recently. Not sure what any of it's about, or why I suddenly have the inspiration to put pen to paper and produce something other than blog posts, but whatever. I won't fight it. This shit doesn't come often.

It is random, though. I found myself writing a lengthy character sketch that started out as a description of a poker table. And I don't know why I started out describing a poker table. Later, I started writing a short narrative about a particular experience and now that's turned into a real story, or at least the beginnings of one. Where does it come from?

The uneasy part about it all is the inability to discern whether or not any of this is, um, good. And I'm not even talking about if people are going to read things I write, like mainstream people and what not. I'm talking about good from the standpoint of literary fiction, of writing for writing's sake. How do you tell? Unless it's eerily similar to something someone has already done, how do you tell if it's good or not?

It seems especially difficult if you're like me and you have a distinctive tone and feel and style to your fiction writing, one that's easily identifiable from among the many. You can pick up twenty random books and it's probable that all of them will be written in the same manner: action, dialogue, plot, "normal" sentences and style. Varieties exist, but the rule of thumb that you should write how you speak, or how others speak will still apply. So most books you pick up have the same drawl to them, the same lilt, the same speech patterns. I don't write that way. I'm different, difficult, perhaps. Will this be accepted? Probably not.

Go Lakers, or something.

3 erotic poetry prompts:

kell January 9, 2009 at 12:55 AM  

don't fight the urge. continue to write.

Unknown January 9, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

ohhh you are so different and unique....

:)

The Filthy Logician January 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

I hope "different and unique" means you love me and won't ever leave.

And I won't fight the urge...to write, that is. I will fight the urge to urinate in public (at least during the day), punch random strangers, and push old ladies down stairs. I'll stick kick babies, though. Can't give that up.