Friday, January 16, 2009

And School Begins

If it wasn't clear from the title, school starts, next Tuesday.

We have Monday off in order to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr., but if you so much as think about Rosa Parks or the Black Panthers, prepare for a beatdown. This is about MLK, bitches, not "other people who had a significant hand in the Civil Rights movement and deserve as much credit." Besides, MLK beat his wife and slept around - I never saw Rosa smoochin' other dudes. If she did, maybe we'd have Rosa Parks Day. So next time you think about joining up for an historic cause, make sure you sleep around and hit some women so we can designate a whole day to remembering you.

...

The beginning of a new semester is another one of those times where you sit back and reflect on all the cool things you planned on doing over the break and never did. Like after summer. Like after spring break. Like after that week of school you took off in order to road trip (but instead spent smoking pot and watching Dragonball Z). And, the most awesome-est, like on New Year's Eve when you remember all of last year's resolutions, a psychological shock that forces you into heavy drinking and the fondling of strangers.

So here I am at the onset of another semester and I'm remembering all those things I said I was going to do, and didn't:

- Have lunch/hang out with multiple friends from high school I haven't seen in a while (Mitch Gamso and Erin Reily come to mind)

- Go camping in the Superstitions, or at all (Philippi and I had the crazy idea to spend a few days freezing our asses off; unfortunately, we were unable to rally enough local support.)

- Get a job (Ha! Come again?)

- Read a lot (Well, okay, I read a lot more than anyone else I know and a lot more than even dedicated readers do, but I was thinking something along the lines of 6 hours a day; I ended up averaging about 3 to 3.5, so I guess it wasn't that bad. [Production definitely suffered on weekends, though, which is why my average was less than 4; if you take weekends out, it would probably jump to 4.5-5 - go me.])

- Not spend a ridiculous amount of time watching, reading, and talking basketball with Keith, Jon, and, sadly, myself. (I watched a game a day, two on half the days. And I think Keith would prefer I didn't call him randomly to talk about some statistic I just read about and not continue the conversation further.)

Well, that's a solid number of promises I didn't keep. I'm awesome.

What promises did I keep? Well, I almost kept the promise about reading and I hung out with two people I hadn't seen in a while, but about which I had no promises. So, you know, I did something.

And what does the new semester bring? Lots of reading. I got my books in today, which I ordered off of Amazon.com under face value (eat that ASU bookstore!), and they each weigh as much as my fat cat. Thankfully, I have three classes on MTW and two on TTH so I'm not committing myself to carrying an exorbitant weight of books all the time. Oh wait, I have a labtop. Dammit, I'm screwed.

And in other news, I'm seeing Paul Blart: Mall Cop tomorrow with a crew of people. If I didn't text you, it means I don't have your phone number, but you're invited anyways! Call me. Despite all the flack I've been receiving about how bad the movie looks, I'm still convinced it's going to be funny. Kevin James has a good track record of being funny, though his only cinematic input has been that gay-but-not-really fireman one with Adam Sandler, which I heard wasn't too bad. But the previews let it be known that it was entirely a Sandler production, including the writing, so here's to a movie that's all James, all the time. Let's see if he delivers.

2 erotic poetry prompts:

I Really Heart Tinfoil Hats! January 20, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

You really like your heroes with no glimmer of humanity, right? They have to be totally spotless and pure lest you ridicule those that celebrate their achievements. I mean, your problem with George Washington and now your problem with MLK I find to be vaguely interesting. Pattern? Just curious (about as curious as you were about same sex pairings, but that's a separate comment. . .).

The Filthy Logician January 20, 2009 at 1:04 AM  

I'm not against celebrating the accomplishments of imperfect people, but a little recognition of those imperfections would be nice, the same if we recognized the perfections of certain imperfect people (George Bush, for instance, isn't all bad). The only connection between Washington and MLK (as far as relevance to me) is that I've pointed out their imperfections. If there's something deeper, I must be missing it.

As for MLK Day, I would prefer a celebration for the Civil Rights movement and its various champions, as opposed to s single person being hoisted onto the shoulders of the masses. Besides, on a Civil Rights day, we would spend the majority of it recognizing King, but at least we'd be making some effort to look at those around him as well.

And I scanned my post but don't recall anything about "same sex pairings" other than the reference to Sandler/James movie, but all I did was state what the movie was about. Not sure what you're getting at.