Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"The First Half is Safe, Philippi" a.ka. "Street Preachers Part Two"

(My answers to Ben's questions are at the end of this. I thought, in the interest of keeping Philippi involved, I'd put the more accessible stuff at the beginning, which doesn't require any sort of foreknowledge of the other post.)

Ben posted an interesting response to that "Street Preachers" post I had a week ago and I thought I'd respond more fully in a post, rather than cram a bunch of words into a comment section. Besides, I'd rather bore everyone with this sort of talk rather than just those unlucky victims who wander into the comment section of an old post.

I suppose it's worth regurgitating the stuff I talked about in that old post, but I'd rather not. It's right there if you want it.

Why I’m Interested in Religion et al.

I think I can truly say I’ve never had any serious rumblings about God existing or whether the whole thing might be true in some fashion. I’m not sure why I say this in the beginning except to direct this explanation towards other people as opposed to myself and maybe that’s wrong. But I’m not sure.

It’s true, though, that I’ve never sat down and prayed or seriously imagined that God was real – any god, mind you, any deity or supernatural entity. It all seemed so fantastic, so other-worldly, and not the least bit true.

But as to my deep fascination with religion and the potential existence of any deity(ies): I think it has more to do with my deep desire to understand the way other people think and operate. I find the belief systems of other people so terribly fascinating, not necessarily why they do certain things but why they believe certain things. (Why they believe is more important than why they do stuff, I think, because belief, to a large extent, informs action.)

Like why people believe supply-side economics is a great way to run financial systems when they know nothing about it. Now, if they were economists or had some training/background and had a grasp of the science, that’s a different story. But so many people feel supply-side economics is the way to go without understanding the technical aspect of it one bit – and that’s fascinating. I myself only understand the science to what I would deem is a passable extent, but even that might be not nearly enough to hold a claim. Maybe it's all about belief in authorities, maybe we can't ever know a lot of stuff and so we have to put our belief in someone we think does.

This is the large reason I find belief in religion fascinating, because so much of it is predicated on very little knowledge or substance of the religion and its logical implications. So much is based on very little information given out at church or at home and yet people believe it, readily, and without much awareness of their lack of knowledge.

And that’s fascinating! I can understand why a trained missionary with a sufficient background in theology and the philosophical implications of such would believe in a God/religion. They have reasons and the reasons make sense them. But for most people, it boggles my mind. They just believe, without much care and without much to base it on. And it’s not like they’ve read the whole bible: they’ve read a few books, maybe, been told a bunch of stuff, and God just seems like an okay dude.

Perhaps it’s fear, fear that the people predicating belief on so little have the ability to affect my life in tremendous ways. I’m less afraid of the missionaries with lots of training than of the proportionately greater number of people who just believe, because if they justify belief on so little, then what else? Hating gays? Blacks? Supply-side economics? Voting for the guy who talks better? Becoming an extremist? Of worse: getting passable knowledge informed by liberal views and then hating all conservatives. It’s kind of scary, isn’t it?

That’s what interests me so much, that’s what drives me. If I can understand why people believe in God/religion with so little to go on, then maybe I can understand why people believe other things in the same manner. Of course, why not study someone’s largely unfounded belief in supply-side economics instead of their belief in God? I focus on the religious belief because we can only have so much to go on in that realm, whereas in economics we have graphs, charts, years of study and data, and lots of experts who really know what they’re talking about. Whereas with God/religion, we have a bunch of thought, some of it logical and rational, being spewed by various people claiming authority – there’s much less solid ground to stand on. Certainly economics is not infalliable, and it certainly has errors, mistakes and such (because it's an evolving science) but there's much more to rest my life on than with religion.

I’ve always wondered, too, about how to approach those who say they feel God, or it all just feels right. I’m never sure if I can just toss this thinking into the “psychological not mystical” trash heap or if it means something. I suppose it’s necessarily the most convoluted and misunderstood reason for believing because it’s so personal – only you can know, no one else can experience it. Every time I think about it, I dismiss it with the thought that if it’s so personal then I can’t possibly be involved in it and nor can anyone else. If I experience it, I experience it. If they do, they do. What can I say? I sometimes feel that my belief in God's nonexistence is visceral in the same way: it just feels right, sometimes, like it can't possibly be wrong. What can I say?

And by the way, I should talk about the background that missionaries receive, at least to my knowledge. Jon and I had various encounters with a pair of Mormon missionaries a few years ago, when they came to our house every Wednesday for a chat and what not. I’m not sure why we obliged them at first, but after a while, when our interest was clearly waning, they kept coming and that was kind of annoying. But whatever, they came. I had always heard they were schooled in basic religious philosophy – the logic behind their beliefs – but I never noticed this. I asked them some questions along logically-related paths and the answers were either vague or so far removed from logic as to appear irrelevant to my question. Now, I can’t say anything with regard to Catholic missionaries, but at least for this hapless pair of Mormon missionaries, that was my experience.

So, to encapsulate the above peripatetic thinking: I’m interested in God/religion because the reasons people believe fascinate – and infuriate – me. If they believe with such little evidence (including those well versed in the arguments) then what else will they believe?

Reading over this, I’m beginning to realize, Ben, that you’re revelation (no pun intended) of why you had such a strong interest in God/religion is turning out to be much more powerful than mine, which is based largely on why other people believe rather than why I don’t believe. Harumph – that’s sad.

Does this mean the elimination of desire begets perfection?

Nah, I’m not Buddhist. To want is to lack, and to lack is be imperfect. In other words, to not have something, whether that be strength, some sort of object, or an intangible thought for the way the world ought to work, is to lack something. And if one does not have everything, then one is imperfect. It’s an odd claim, and certainly to say that God can’t desire makes for an interesting Christian worldview.

Does this mean perfection in its entirety is an emotional state of being?

Nah, as well. I would actually think that to be perfect would be to lack an emotional state of being, for to have emotions is to be in a state in which you might lack something. Of course, to not have emotions means God can’t love (but to say God can’t want is to say as much, I suppose).

I guess this really just speaks to the incomprehensibility of God’s supposed perfection. It’s so complicated and full of potential (and actual) paradoxes and contradictions that it’s either A) horribly inconceivable both in our minds and in reality or B) something real that is, however, beyond our comprehensibility and thus we should just stop worrying about it. The latter claim is often employed to say that we can’t know God in the same way we know our neighbor Bob and so we shouldn’t try to understand him up to a certain point. Of course, this begets the question: why should I care about him at all?

Does one have to have the capacity to want without having the want to achieve perfection?

An interesting question. In some muddled form of perfection (they’re all muddled, really) it would seem that this could be the case, especially if we ascribe omnipotence as a quality of perfection. Speaking of omnipotence, I had an interesting question about it that came to me once while reading something for a philosophy of religion class: Has God done everything, committed every conceivable and inconceivable action?

If I recall correctly (and I very well may not), the logic went like this: if God is omnipotent then he has to be able to say anything and mean it – he has to have the ability to say anything and make it true. So God then would have to be able to say “I have done everything (like, say, kill babies).” And if he has to be able to say this and it’s true, then that means God has done everything (like, say, kill babies).

I remember spending days thinking about this and I never worked up the courage to ask my professor, because I was always (and still am) too insecure to approach a question I might be completely wrong about. I was always afraid (and still am) that I would be so off base I might as well quit life. I also thought I might have been on to something, which was scary.

As to my apparent equivocation of want: you might be on to something. I’m thinking, though, about your example of wanting a woman to love you and a woman loving you (alongside that want). So you’re saying that while the woman is loving you (it seems odd to say) you want a woman to love you? Hmm. I’m imaging a constant action of a woman loving you (emotionally, now, mind all those perverts out there – [that would be me]) and you desiring that a woman love you. It seems that at some point your desire would be fulfilled. I’m having a hard time reconciling the notion of you wanting something that is currently being had by you. But again, my confusion may lay in my conception of desire (hence the supposed equivocation).


4 erotic poetry prompts:

I Really Heart Tinfoil Hats! March 3, 2009 at 6:24 PM  

Alright. . . I just got through your post. I'm gonna mull it over for awhile and post again later tonight about your responses to my response.

But first, I guess I share a similar desire in that I watch those street preachers as I watch them and wonder to myself about their motivations. I wonder if they are honest with themselves, and what motivates them to come on campus and deal with a certain amount of surly skepticism. I try to infer things from their mannerisms and from their tone. I usually find this the most interesting when someone else engages them.

Second, I enjoy a good show. Frankly, there's nothing quite like a good spectacle. These guys got nothing on Brother Steve, let me tell you. That guy would dance around, yelling about the lake of burning hellfire, screaming questions at passing students like, "Are you wicked?", or exclaiming that those that walked about him were "whores and whoremongers!" I remember I was once walking to class when I looked up and there was Brother Steve yelling that aforementioned question at me. I responded with a simple yes. To which he immediately screamed at me: "Repent!". I, quick as ever, responded with a "no thank you, I like my sin." It was at that point that I was hooked. I could sit and watch one of his dramatic sermons for hours, let me tell you. It had nothing to do with belief or disbelief. It was quite the spectacle.

Anyway, I digress. I don't know Jeffrey. I agree with you when it comes to people putting so much belief into things that are little understood. If it's not religion, it's economics. If it's not economics, it's nationalism. You don't know how many times I've heard fucking "patriots" scream at me that they wished that the government would lock up people who spoke out. Sometimes I wonder if this is a sign of the times, but I must imagine that such things have been happening for years before I came into existence. Some atheists get all hot an bothered about religion as a cause of war. Really? Human idiocy is the cause, not religion. If it wasn't their idiotic interpretation of Christianity, it would have been their idiotic interpretation of (to use your example) supply side economics. I can understand a fascination with such idiocy and stupidity. I get that. In fact, the less these guys actually understand their dogmatic beliefs (which it seems clear to me that these guys definitely have a problem with the understanding), the more it probably intrigues you. So ignore my suggestion to visit someone more "in the know". I don't know. I grew up in the Quaker tradition, attending The Society of Friends. I'm always vaguely horrified by the vehement mental torpidity of a lot of the protestants around. I guess the fact that Quakers have to come to more personal conclusions without the benefit of a preacher helps them to understand more fully their beliefs. Have you ever attended a Quaker church (I use church in a loose sense here, as Quakers don't necessarily have a church, rather a meeting house)? They spend their time reading the Bible silently and doing personal meditation in a group. When something strikes a Quaker, he or she stands up and shares with the group whatever epiphany that was just had. Needless to say, Quakers are less about the obedience, more about the understanding. It provides for some interesting discussions, let me tell you. You should probably stay away from them.

The Filthy Logician March 3, 2009 at 7:07 PM  

I once attended a service (that's not quite the technical term) at a place of Hindu worship (in all my schooling, I have no idea what they call their houses of worship; awesome). It was pretty chill, I have to admit, much in the same way I imagine the Quaker meetings were chill, relaxed, laid back in a way that seems more appropriate to the material and less rigid as an external representation of establishment.

We sang songs in languages I'd never heard and listened to some people talk but mainly we sang songs. It was pretty awesome.

And I totally dig the spectacle aspect. It's like watching movies, even Michael Bay films: sometimes they're just entertaining (even if, in the case of Mr. Bay, they're turrrble). So I dig it, man.

I Really Heart Tinfoil Hats! March 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

It was St. Anselm that stated that: “God is that, than which nothing greater can be conceived”, right? I decided to go ahead and join you a little bit more for metaphysics so that you don't feel like you wrote that whole thing and no one appreciated it. So, God transcends all that can be conceived. Thus, the paradox of God's existence must needs remain incomprehensible. For should it be found to be within our understanding, it is possible then to conceive of something greater than our understanding, something beyond our ken. Thus, it really serves no purpose to begin to attempt to quantify God in terms of desires and wants. We can conceive of them. God must therefore be greater. How's that for paradox?

It is interesting though, how my perception of your equivocation of the meaning of want leads towards eastern thought. It is part of the four noble truths, right? All suffering is from desire. Eliminate desire, eliminate suffering.

Now, as far as God's omnipotence is concerned with every conceivable act: I could borrow from my earlier statement and say that everything we have stated has been conceived and thus found to be lacking as a descriptor of God. But instead, I think I'll approach this another way. Has not God killed babies? Has not God determined that some children will die to illness, etc.? God made man mortal, and with that mortality comes a responsibility for man's demise. Ultimately, God bears the very same responsibility for man's demise that man must bear.

And as far as fulfilled desire goes, it is possible to have a desire filled and yet still be unfulfilled. The lack of fulfillment is an internal condition that may or not be swayed by outside conditions, i.e. the filling of the desire. I desire that I want a woman to love me. A woman loves me. And yet, that desire isn't slackened. I still want. That's the ultimate kick in the pants with the equivocation of want. When referencing desire, it has no bearing on whether or not the desired outcome has/can/will be attained. It is simply an emotional state of being.

JCWIII March 3, 2009 at 11:52 PM  

you guys are fucking crazy