Thursday, February 19, 2009

Where's the line between funny and racist?


I'm not sure if this is a racist photo. I don't think it is. I think it's funny. But then I have to ask myself "Why is it funny?" My answer: I don't know. Maybe it's the frowning black people (frowns are funny and the deeper and more ridiculous the frown, the funnier it is; and maybe black people have a better physical makeup so that frowns are deeper and more ridiculous; does that make me racist?). The word "shenanigans" is clearly funny in itself. I think what might make it funny as well is this: a bunch of serious people wearing serious clothes, frowning, and the word "shenanigans" is like BAM. Is it funnier because they're serious and black? I don't know, maybe. Is that racist? I don't know.

Then again, why is there a random white guy in the back right? Am I racist for thinking he's a little out of place?

Would this be nearly as funny if it was all white people frowning? I'm not sure. I think "no," but why? Why is it funnier if it's a bunch of black people? I think it falls back to the notion that "black" physiology makes for deeper, more ridiculous frowns. Also, maybe it's that we always think about black people protesting something or other and so we think of older black people as frowning all the time (because racism gets better only slowly). Of course, is it racist to think of older black people as frowning about racism all the time?

I just don't know. But that picture is damn funny.

6 erotic poetry prompts:

Anonymous,  February 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

Obama is a great president. His presence is impacting grants like no other president prior. Grant funding for minorities and middle class have increased nearly 10,000% in the past week.

******************************
Obama's New Grants
*****************************
Largest Grant Amounts in History!

The Filthy Logician February 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

Normally, I would erase spam like this, but for some reason I'm keeping it. I think it has to do with the bold faced type "obama is a great president." While I agree, I think it was kinda ridiculous to just say it with such authority.

Actually, I still might delete you. But if I did, I'd be hurting your income because by looking at your profile I see you make some sort of living off of "running" dozens of blogs.

I realize how terrible of a job that is. I myself nearly went in for it, but, fortunately, decided not to.

You should probably find a new job.

Unknown February 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

Ha,

That picture is very very funny

The Filthy Logician February 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

But are you a racist? haha that is the question. I think it's hilarious. I'm laughing right now, even though I'm trying to discern my level of prejudice - it's funny!

Clifton February 20, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

More importantly, would it be racist if the caption were "WE CAN'T HAS CHEEZBURGER?"